Monday, January 31, 2011

Intimate Pie.






"There are some people's pie I wish I could have more than just a bite of, that even a big piece leaves me crying for more.
There are pie's that are better to look at than eat.
There are pies you have heard about, or fantasized about, but never had a chance to try.
There are pies that belong to other people.
There are pies you want to steal, and pies you want to know how to make.
There are pies that you start eating and know you can't finish.
And then there are the pies I remember fondly. Ten years ago I really craved Clarissa's pie, but now I don't even like that flavor any more. Then there's Jennifer's pie from last year that I sometimes think I would like some more of, but I have to say "no, I've had enough."
Sometimes people only offer you a little pie, but once you've finished, and appreciated it, they offer you a little more. Then a little more. And that's the pie you keep coming back for.
When you offer someone some pie, they don't necessarily want the whole thing. They might just want a little taste of it. In fact, they might just be taking it to be nice, because how do you say no to pie?
They might only like the crust.
They might eat all the filling out, and just leave the crust sitting there in pieces.
They might take your whole pie, but only offer you a small piece of theirs in return.
Some people have a huge pie, some people have a small pie.
If you ask for more pie, people don't often want to give it to you.
You shouldn't take pie that isn't offered.
You shouldn't clamor for pie.
You shouldn't expect pie just because you like it.
You shouldn't expect compliments on your pie."

By this point my therapist was pretty red in the face. "The sexual overtones of this metaphor are killing me."

No comments: