Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Weed Thing

Recently it has reared it's ugly head again.
So, I can't smoke. It's not that I wouldn't, it's not that I care if other people do- I just can't. In the past I haven't even been comfortable around it- the smell makes me nauseous, I've been known to break out in hives after making out with people who use it, buying rope can make my palms get itchy. I was recently given a hemp lip balm for Christmas that cracked my lips open severely. At different times it has effected me differently, sometimes less so than others. But, better safe than sorry, I just avoid it. And apparently that makes me a semi-social pariah, and less attractive.
Now, I do tend not to date vegans. I also have had negative experiences with tee-totalers. And religious nuts tend only to be interesting until you realize that they are just nuts. But these are people making a choice, or engaging in a belief system. I'm not doing either. I feel like I'm in the same boat with people who are allergic to peanuts or soy or milk, but somehow it's different. Luckily, there's no anaphalaxis so far. Instead there's this bizarre rejection.
Like all discord, I really want to understand this better, so I've been talking to people about it. One response implied that I was perceived (presumably because I can't smoke) as judgemental. Which actually is funny, cause I tend to love people who love weed. I don't tend to actually vocally encourage their using it, but then I don't tend to tell people to go out and have a cigarette or take their meds either. In other words, I don't tend to encourage people to get buzzed, but I also don't discourage it. I don't know what else, socially, is acceptable. Miss Manners is a little mum on the subject. But if anyone has suggestions, they should put them in the comment box.
Until then I guess I'll just keep dodging out of the room, and hope people can forgive me.

No comments: