Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pretty, but is it Art?




Yesterday I had the opportunity to lay out a corn labyrinth. That's a very nice way of saying I got paid very little to do a lot of shoveling and mulching and planting on a little farm in Newberg. Which, I thoroughly enjoyed- I love working hard as long as it's not raining. But I am beginning to wonder if I will ever feel like I'm really worth more than $12.50 an hour. Even as I'm nursing a very tender feeling back and bicep today.

In other news, I've been watching M*A*S*H. There are jokes about Martinis in nearly every early episode. There's no laugh track. Every character, even the bad guys, are clearly acceptable as human beings- no character is treated as shallow, or superfluous (except maybe the women that Hawkeye messes around with, but even that is debatable). Everyone is treated as a stereotype, but all stereotypes are welcome, accepted and appreciated as fodder for oneliners. & it's great to see the clear development of a character from Groucho to Hawkeye to Gregory House. What a legacy.

No comments: